Green Wellies and Baler Twine Forum Index Green Wellies and Baler Twine
Field Sports, Shooting, Fishing - Country Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)  
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gypsies, Tramps & ...Chavs
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Green Wellies and Baler Twine Forum Index -> The Staff Room -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think Travellers should be admired for their lifestyle ?
Yes - they're great
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
No
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
Bog off donthre
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 10

donthre
Assistant chief bovine bottom inspector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Gypsies, Tramps & ...Chavs  Reply with quote

If the lovely Cher will forgive me for adulterating her title Embarassed

Quite a lot of "trendies" seem to be giving up their gainful employment & adopting a "back to the land" lifestyle. Shocked

There are websites all over the place promoting a "Better lifestyle".

It seems we are ignoring some of the people who live rather Green lifestyles already - What could be more green than a Tramp? living under the stars, recycling clothing, walking everywhere.

Then we have the "travelling people" who do a great deal of recycling, keep animals like horses, goats & chickens, do not enter into the "land grabbing ethos" which many of the trendies do.

Living at least in part off the land & utilising other people's unwanted items - surely we should be praising them - Not demonising them as so ofte happens ?
Calli
Drama Queen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting take Don.

The ownership of land: is this a capitalist storing up riches or a necessity of preserving your own lands for long term cultivation.

Can I dispute the goat ownership qualification - thats sooo yesterday Rolling Eyes

Why did you put the third option in? I had soooo much trouble resisting that one Laughing
spooks
Forum Fog Horn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not get me started on this.
we are currently fighting against proposed sites for are town.
there is a huge difference between a proper gypsey and the so called traverlers.
one is a pleasure to have in your town the other is a low life and scum of the earth who has no respect for other people and property.
unfortunatly there are very veiw real gypsies around.

www.calnetalk.com
Quixote
Laird

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Spooks on this one. True Romanies are people to be admired & respected. 'Travellers', on the other hand, seem to be a disenchanted load of scroungers, light-fingered wastrels who pollute the very air of whichever unfortunate location they sully with their presence.

As for their 'recycling' ethos? I fear the majority of them (and apologies to any genuine travellers who don't deserve to be tarred with the same brush) have a tendency to focus their efforts on recycling other peoples property with neither their knowledge or consent...........generally into hard cash. That's where their unsavoury reputation stems from, in my view, not their lifestyle choice
Calli
Drama Queen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh please Rolling Eyes

no one has told Don to bog off yet Laughing
donthre
Assistant chief bovine bottom inspector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People have always been frightened of & antagonistic towards "travellers" - as the Cher song so well points out -

People have Aways believed that "gypsies" would "Steal your children" - when the bulk of the time they just wanted to survive - forage locally - catch a few rabbits or hares - earn a few bob.

Mr Hitler exterminated huge numbers of them Along with the Jews - just because they were "easy to blame" but of course they have no way of replying or bringing that fact to our collective memories.

Don't we actually EXPECT travellers to be "Wrong uns" as the two "Anti" posts show ?

If you're guilty before you arrive - what's the point of trying ?

As to recycling - many of them are mechanical geniuses - they'll get anything running & return it to main stream use.

My old man's first lorry came from the "Dids" - an old Thames Trader - which they'd fitted with a tractor engine. - Totally "Bomb proof". Cool  (Real "Bird puller"  Laughing  )

They Don't live on Social Security - Don't clutter up our schools with their kids. Do keep animals which they treat with some respect - even if they expect everyone (including the animals ) to "earn their keep". Don't buy up all the "LAnd" they "Store value" in their gold & their antiques.

If they have learned to fight & be deceptive when dealing with "US" - perhaps the two posts above show why.  Shocked

When was the last time you heard a traveller saying "I can't work - I've got a bad back/ depression/ stress/ bifurcuss disease - but the doctors can't see it - so I've got to be supported by the state (YOU) for the rest of my life" ?  Cool

How d'you rate the Tramps then  Confused
spooks
Forum Fog Horn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donthre wrote:
People have always been frightened of & antagonistic towards "travellers" - as the Cher song so well points out -

People have Aways believed that "gypsies" would "Steal your children" - when the bulk of the time they just wanted to survive - forage locally - catch a few rabbits or hares - earn a few bob.

Mr Hitler exterminated huge numbers of them Along with the Jews - just because they were "easy to blame" but of course they have no way of replying or bringing that fact to our collective memories.

Don't we actually EXPECT travellers to be "Wrong uns" as the two "Anti" posts show ?

If you're guilty before you arrive - what's the point of trying ?

As to recycling - many of them are mechanical geniuses - they'll get anything running & return it to main stream use.

My old man's first lorry came from the "Dids" - an old Thames Trader - which they'd fitted with a tractor engine. - Totally "Bomb proof". Cool (Real "Bird puller" Laughing )

They Don't live on Social Security - Don't clutter up our schools with their kids. Do keep animals which they treat with some respect - even if they expect everyone (including the animals ) to "earn their keep". Don't buy up all the "LAnd" they "Store value" in their gold & their antiques.

If they have learned to fight & be deceptive when dealing with "US" - perhaps the two posts above show why. Shocked

When was the last time you heard a traveller saying "I can't work - I've got a bad back/ depression/ stress/ bifurcuss disease - but the doctors can't see it - so I've got to be supported by the state (YOU) for the rest of my life" ? Cool

How d'you rate the Tramps then Confused

Donthre your mistaking real gyrpsies with low life traverlers.
in my area the traverles are the wrong uns.
all i can say donthre is juding by your post you live in a bubble and wear rose tinted glasses.
I take it you wouldnt mind traverlers l9iving next to to you then?

Like i said in one of the upper posts i am currently fighting against proposed traverler sites coming to my area.does that make me a nimby ?maybe so.

to give you a little back ground on what im doing heres the story so far.....

6 years ago a group of traverlers brought a field of a farmer ,in a village called minty and turned it in to a traverler site.
they had no planning of this .
the goverment want them out of there but have to offer them a replacement site.
so they have asked countys to look into possible sites,we know of a possible 6 sites two of which is in my town in which i live.
there is though private sites which we are not allowed to know about.the county council will recieve 250.000 if one of these sites go ahead..

now the odd thing is minty is happy where they are after 5 years they have mingled with the community and there kids are in school.
and the community is happy with them.

there are a few facts about these site....

each pitch has to be big anough for two caravans and a little locker inbetween

the goverment want the sites to be one mile from a secondary school
in which the kids will get instant access.

if you happen to live near a gypsie site  your house price will decrease by 30 per cent

you will also have to pay a higher car/home insurance

not forgetting council tax will raise because of the site.

the gypsies want free ,electric and gas  and water provided on these sites.

90 per cent of there cars/vans are uninsured and yet the police do bugger all about it.

they get away with paying council tax by staying on a site for 13 weeks then they have to leave for 48 hours then they can come back again for 13 weeks.

---------------
a fw weeks ago one of my sons football tournaments nearly was canceled because on the pitches cam the traverlers they stayed for 4 days and there was human shit all over the field and they had left it in such a state it took nearly a week to get clean.

so donthre now you know where im coming from when i say traverlers are nothing but scum and low lifes...

as for tramps they dont bother me ,

www.calnetalk.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The low life, thieving, scrounging, scum bags refered to in the two, now three anti posts are "Travellers"? How come our local council has had to spend hundreds of thousands of our money, in court, appeal court, high court etc. etc. to get these filth of the earth off Green Belt land that has been illegally settled and developed with PERMANENT housing on wheels. It is the largest, illegal Pikie site in Europe, I'm not talking about a few vans on a verge but HUNDREDS. Their case is being fought with Legal Aid but one has already been taken to court by Benefit Fraud and found to have telephone numbers in various bank accounts, Inland Revenue have an ongoing investigation that could take years to complete, so I imagine she may well decide to take up a life of travelling again.
A local publican welcomed a few in with open arms and within a few weeks they had made it clear to the old regulars that they were no longer "welcome" in their pub, which they had virtually taken over. When some inter family trouble broke out and the Guvner tried to bar a couple, his life was openly threatened with a weapon!!! That's a nice thank you eh?
The site is mainly populated with women, children and old folk, so where are the able bodied? Working and running businesses in France or at home in Ireland in their mansions. All of this has been proven by the Local Rag and Council investigations with documentary and photographic evidence. The case is not going their way at the moment and now they are doing the Court of Human Rights bit and we need a permanent place to stay. Am I being thick or does Traveller mean moving about a bit and not staying in one place?
Let's also not forget the two murders and umpteen gunshot and knife wounds that take place in this, a Police No Go Area which includes shots fired at the Police Helicopter. The threats and intimidation to the Villagers who dare complain with the odd dead animal thrown into their gardens. The children who can no longer go to their village school because of mini pikies violence, when they bother to go.
The main road, blocked by slow moving lorries so they can hold a Trotting Race with hundreds of pounds changing hands. I could go on forever after years of having this dross on my doorstep and hardly a day going by without hearing something about their antics.
Don't even bother to fight their case if you aint got them on your doorstep. When you have, make sure to lock up your shed, garage and dog securely.

Well the Forum needed livening up.

P.S. I feel sorry for the minority of genuine Irish Travellers or Tinkers as they were known and more so for the Romanies. They are all getting tarred by the same brush but are some of the nicest, most honourable and honest people anyone could wish to meet.
spooks
Forum Fog Horn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. I feel sorry for the minority of genuine Irish Travellers or Tinkers as they were known and more so for the Romanies. They are all getting tarred by the same brush but are some of the nicest, most honourable and honest people anyone could wish to meet.

would agree with that bazzer Very Happy

www.calnetalk.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting worried Spooky. We agree?????? Wink

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Green Wellies and Baler Twine Forum Index -> The Staff Room -> The Bar All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: