Green Wellies and Baler Twine Forum Index Green Wellies and Baler Twine
Field Sports, Shooting, Fishing - Country Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)  
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wildfowling
Page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Green Wellies and Baler Twine Forum Index -> The Staff Room -> Hunting Shooting Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonty
Artificial Inseminator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Wildfowling  Reply with quote

I'd like to take advantage of the BASC's day permit scheme for wildfowling this season.  There's some day tickets available from £8.00 and some very reasonable season permits as well.  Anyhow, I have very little knowledge of wildfowling and would seriously need to improve my species recognition. So, can anone reccomend any websites/dvd's/books etc that might set me up in good stead.  Some of the permits require you to be chaperoned with a member from the appropriate association which would offer the best training, but as with all new projects, I like to get some background information on board in the interim.
barraboy
Tractor Driver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try here

http://duckandgoosehunting.yuku.com/

ive been interested myself for a while be interested to hear what you discover

Jonty
Artificial Inseminator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Barraboy,

there's a club on the South Solway who do day permits at £20 if that's any use to you.  The website is http://www.solwaywildfowlers.co.uk/index.htm

There's some more information in the BASC permits book which is free or I could PM you the information.

Also, this has some links to clubs too http://www.wildfowling.co.uk/index.htm

Luckily for me there's a couple of spots close to my dad's house for £8 a day so I'm going to combine a trip out or two with some 'home visits' once I've an Idea what I'm doing.  Some clubs also only allow accompanied flights which I may well try as it's probably the best way to gain some experience whilst not wiping out protected fowl!!
barraboy
Tractor Driver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have morcambe bay wildfowlers close by, they do associate membership, cockerham marsh is thirty minutes or so away from me; i also have lytham wildfowlers on the ribble [also about 30 minutes away] which i believe is dead man's boots re. membership. i have also been led to believe there are further clubs in the Preston area and further up on the bay around Arnside, not sure if any of these do day tickets. walney wildfowlers back home do day tickets so i might try my luck with those. the marsh can be a dangerous place so very wise to go with someone who knows what they are doing.

thanks for the link. feel free to PM me any information

Jonty
Artificial Inseminator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get approval into that yuku forum BB.  I just had a quik look at it and it seemed quite closed ranks with a statement that you must already know someone in there for your application to be accepted Confused
barraboy
Tractor Driver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes ive been a member for quite some time, not a regular visitor or poster though, if it will help you can use me as a the person you know, mention i gave you the link...etc. its eric begbie [BASC wildfowl writer] that admins the forum.

im on there as BARROBOY[/i]

Jonty
Artificial Inseminator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Barraboy, I'll give that a try.  I'm less than an hour and a half away from Cockerham so any info on the associate membership would be useful.  With a baby I don't get a lot of free time so full membership would be a waste for me - plus being pretty much in the middle of the country it's not like I can just nip off for an hour or two, but I do fancy having a few flights so the BASC day permit scheme seems great.  In fact later on in the year a mate and I are planning to go up to the scottish borders and have a day on a tweed tributary salmon fishing and have the following day either at Holy Isle or the Tweed estuary for a duck or two.
barraboy
Tractor Driver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was talking to a guy from Morcambe Wildfowlers a couple of years ago at Myerscough open day, the club has no full memberships available they are limited as to how many they can have [i think a few clubs are under this restriction] but associate membershhip was available. if i remember rightly as an asociate you were entitled to three trips out onto the marsh accompanied by a full member, and would be on the waiting list for full membership. i think the associate membership was around £30.

ive sat at Cockerham many times watching 1000s of geese flying overhead, done the same at our little shoot as we are on a flight line between a roost at weeton barracks and the ribble, we get the odd flight in but nothing to shout about.

i have found that despite calls in the sporting press for greater openess and and increase in interest; wildfowling is a very difficult branch of the sport to engage with...south of the border at least.

just noticed your at Skipton, yes a fair drive, actually we were out that way couple of weeks ago at Broughton Show, a lovely little game fair one of my favourites.

Jonty
Artificial Inseminator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Barraboy.  It certainly does appear to be s somewhat closed fraternity doesn't it.  I think the accompanied flights are a great idea,  hopefully noone gets drowned and you have an 'expert' set of eyes to make sure you don't kill the wrong birds (I've been reading up on the varous species and it's certainly not something you can do from a book on your own).  I'm thinking about having an accompanied flight with the Gloucestershire Wildfowlers, the in-laws are down that way so I could tie it in with  a family visit.  

The Broughton show is a great one isn't it.  I was there too - doing incredibly badly at the clay shoot.  But it is a great day out.
Jonty
Artificial Inseminator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloucestershire Wildfowlers have a really good quarry identification guide comprising of numerous photos of each bird plus their calls

http://www.gloucestershirewildfowlers.co.uk/pages/id_course.html

Also, i don't know if I should admit it but the RSPB site is pretty good too Embarassed

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Green Wellies and Baler Twine Forum Index -> The Staff Room -> Hunting Shooting Fishing All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: